03 September 2009

And they all cheered.

Most of the time I have a pretty thankless job.  I do actually mean that in the literal sense as when you work in support, very rarely do you hear "thank you" uttered from one of your customers that you have spent the last 4 days and 6 hours working on and finally fixed.  Mostly you get, "It's about time" and "Your products sucks".  By that token, when I have a rare moment like today, I feel the need to blog about it.

Not to get into to much specifics, I just got off the phone with a customer who was trying to get his old little Latino women up and running again.  His current setup was atrocious so I spent a good 2 hours tweaking their system.  At one point I added a feature that instead of making his old little Latino women manually type in information, the system did it for them automatically.  During the first run through showing them this new feature, I heard silence on the other end and I got a bit concerned that they didn't like what I had done.  Then I heard a rush of Spanish and my customer explaining to them that the system was entering the numbers for them and all they had to do was verify that the information was correct.   More rush of Spanish - then cheering.  Actual cheering and clapping and more rush of Spanish.   My customer then said, "I think you just made them very very happy."

It's a bit silly but I can't tell you how warm and fuzzy that made me.   I'm buzzing right now actually.  Of course this will most likely be short lived as when they start using the system they will surely find other things that they don't like or isn't working properly, but for now, I'm going to enjoy it.

--
Casey a.k.a. Moe
http://badgerswithknives.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment